Updated MLB Statcast Data (July 2015)

Thursday, October 29, 2015


I am pretty sure by now we all know what Statcast is, have most likely seen it in use, and (for those of us who have been listening to the BttP Podcasts) are aware of its origins. Before the season, I compiled a database of all public MLB Statcast statistics and posted it here. Since then there has been a flurry of data released which warrants an update.
MLBAM is releasing a majority of its Statcast data the same way it released the PitchF/X data, through this pretty little website: http://gd2.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/. Most of this information on this site looks like mumbo-jumbo, but do not worry. There is another, more efficient and prettier website where you can download the data for free. It goes by the name BaseballSavant.comDarren Willman, creator of the Savant network of websites, has tapped into the MLBAM website and has graciously made all of this data easily accessible to everyone.
I took my own stab at integrating the xml files from the MLBAM website into my own database. While I was able to successfully connect to the portal and download the info, I ultimately found it much easier to just download the stats from Willmans’s website.

0 comments:

Post a Comment